When we’re praised for our expertise in an area, many of us naturally back off or deflect the attention to someone else. When it comes to marketing your own brand, you can’t sit back and be modest. You need to shout out your own accomplishments from the rooftops.
No matter what platform you are presenting yourself on, you need to ensure you can both captivate your audience and let them know you are the go-to person in your craft. To do this on an online platform can be tricky, and will take a lot of effort. The rewards will be worth the effort.
The following sections are not all inclusive, but will give you a foundational understanding of the inner workings of the digital environment you will prosper in.
Choose a Niche
Choosing a niche is the very first step to finding what you would like to do. You can differentiate yourself from competition by focusing on a particular niche within a broader market. An example of this would be doing marketing research on golfing, you could find many different aspects about golf that you could monetize on. In our book “The Road to Niches” we talk about discovering profitable niches and stratagem to keep your niche profitable. Knowing your niche inside and out will assist you in creating masterful content. When you know all you can, start teaching others what you know. Create classes that will inspire others to learn as you have. This will help to get to know those you are marketing towards, creating stronger, longer lasting bonds. Choosing a niche is also the first step in the process of affiliate marketing as well.
These five steps will assist in finding the right niche:
1. Identify your interests and passions.
2. Identify problems you can solve.
3. Research your competition.
4. Determine the profitability of your niche.
5. Test your idea.
It’s important to keep in mind that there’s no perfect process to finding a niche. You’ll want to do your homework. If you get stuck in the planning phase before you can even truly begin, you will not succeed. As an entrepreneur, you need to learn the art of starting.
Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization, or SEO, is an extremely important component of marketing. When you optimize your web pages – including your blog posts – you make your website more visible to people searching for you and your product on Google. Google has algorithms that ensure that a website has credibility and traffic. These algorithms make it difficult when starting off, but with SEO, you can push your webpage to the top of the Google search results. In our book “SEO Sergeant” we discuss many of the topics in the blog, as it pertains to SEO, in greater depth. Make sure you check it out here!
Some key factors to pay attention to are when looking at SEO are:
1. Dwell Time – Length of a time a reader spends on a page on your site. The longer the visitor is on the page, the more likely Google will think you as credible.
2. Page Speed – How fast your website loads. Too many flashy designs and features that take long to load are looked at as bad in both the visitor’s and Google’s eyes.
3. Mobile Responsiveness – How accessible it is on a mobile device. Ensuring that your content is viewable no matter the means, ensures that both visitors and Google will recognize your work. It also shows your professionalism.
4. Index Date – Google finds your content over time and adds it to its index. Later, the page can be retrieved and when a user searches for keywords related to the indexed page, your site’s information is displayed.
5. Recent Data – Visitors can access accurate and relevant information with recent data, which results in a positive reader experience.
6. Do Keyword Research and Use Relevant Terms – If someone uses an online search to look for about a particular thing, keywords will help them find your article. Use terms that everyday people would look up.
7. Place Keywords Throughout Your Page – Each webpage has different keywords associated with it. Let them flow naturally into your webpages and blogs. The best locations for keywords is as follows:
- Title of the post.
- The first and last paragraph of the post.
- The URL.
- In the text organically throughout the post.
- The tags of images used.
8. Include SEO in Permalinks – Permalinks are the URLs you see when you visit a website. Using specific dates or information that may change is not recommended. It makes the hierarchy clear to search engines and helps SEO.
9. Hyperlink Your Existing Content – If you are writing something and it relates to something you did in the past, link it! The more traffic you have coming to your pages and other sources, will show credibility!
10. Write High-Quality Content. No Keyword Stuffing! – Do not be annoying with inserting keywords. Read your content as someone trying to gain knowledge. This is for them as much as is it for you. If you are able to assist the viewer obtain what they want from your site, you will also be rewarded in the process. It is also important to note that Google is highly intelligent and can recognize keyword stuffing.
11. Optimize Your Images – Image ALT-text, or the description of an image, can be crawled and indexed, but not images themselves. This crawling process is completed by the Google algorithm to gain authenticity and verify keywords within your website.
Choosing the right social media platforms is the first step in promoting yourself. In addition to generating traffic to your website, this is the best way to offer your services. TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook are the most popular currently, so take a look and see which ones you like. A wider reach is possible with more resources. Nonetheless, you should ensure that you can spend enough time on each.
Each platform of social media has algorithms within them, much like Google. These algorithms are based on different aspects on your post, views, engagement, and time posted.
In our book “51 Social Media Marketing Methods to Build Your Business” we go more in depth on strategies for social media, but this blog will show simple steps to get you started.
The following are some of the trending social media platforms and how their algorithms work.
1. Relevancy Score
Each user account has a unique algorithm assigned to them. This algorithm views trends, likes, and engagement. It then takes that information and sends relevant videos and posts to the user. This prediction of videos and post sent to the user is quantified into a single number called a “relevancy score” that’s specific both to you and to that post.
2. Priority on Friends Listing
Facebook has made it easy for users to see content that they want to see from specific users. This is called the “See First” feature. To assist with focusing on stories, and ensure you don’t miss posts from specific people and Pages, you can now choose whom you want to see at the top of your News Feed. Encouraging viewers to do this will ensure that your videos and posts are always at the top of your followers pages when they log in.
3. Time Spent on a Post
The more time a user has spent on a post (either messaging, liking, sharing, etc.) the more Facebook will want that user to see more similar content. The end goal of Facebook is for you to spend your time on its platform. Captivating the audience is crucial to ensure they keep watching and coming back for more.
4. Video Engagement
Getting comments on videos is almost as important as the video itself. The more engagement you have with your followers, the higher the algorithm will place you in the queue of videos to go out to the masses. It may take some time to get used to the concept of interacting, even with the negative commenters, but it is vital for your videos to become viral. These interactions and engagements are what allows the algorithm to note that your content is worthy to become viral since it is from a “trusted” source.
Our Book “Facebook Marketing Mania” tells step by step Facebook marketing practices. Discover how to access Facebook users properly with tips and techniques to capture the attention of your target audience with ideal, strategically formulated messages, so they can easily find you and buy from you.
Just like Facebook, since they are both a part of Meta, assigns each user a unique algorithm that calculates what videos might interest you. This interest can be utilized to grasp a firm understanding into what your competition looks like. If you have interests on your feed that show exactly what you are going to start promotion on social media, you can view different marketing strategies involved with their processes.
With the Instagram, it is shown that consistent posting is the key to success. This means posting a minimum of three (3) videos a day every day. This will show Instagram that you are an active user and you are going to stay active.
Followers are those that see your content on their feed when you post. To obtain followers, you need to ensure that you are broadcasting your content utilizing hashtags and SEO. These followers can also help by liking or even collaborating with you to create content.
Collaborating with someone to create content is a very lucrative way to gain more followers. Not only does it put the talent and work force of two or more minds, you now have your content and name shown on someone else’s page. This is a huge deal because it allows you to capture the attention of an audience you may not have been able to before.
Reels are a great and creative way to promote yourself. Remember you want to captivate your audience and give them something in return for their time. You want the reel to portray a certain message, but you want to do it in a unique way, that only you can produce.
In our ebook “Expand Your Business Reach With Instagram” we discuss various aspects of Instagram and how to utilize it to maximize your reach and growth, presenting larger opportunities of success. Be sure to check it out if you are interested.
1. Video Likes, Comments, Shares, Completions, and Re-watches
The more views and engagements a TikTok video receives, the more likely it is to be shared with a wider audience.
2. Subject Matter
TikTok excels at categorizing content based on user preferences, thus topic matter is crucial when it comes to reaching the app’s full potential.
3. Device Settings
The system detects a user’s device parameters, such as posting location and language — which is normally used to share local information.
A video with a popular sound or tune is more likely to be seen by a greater audience.
5. Hashtags and Caption Keywords
Much like Facebook and Instagram, hashtags are utilized to ensure the proper audiences reach your page. This provides a limited SEO for your TikTok content. Incorporating these hashtags and phrases into your captions tells the algorithm about the nature of your material.
6. User Activity and “Not Interested” Feedback
The TikTok algorithm is constantly attempting to provide high-interest films to each user, and it does so by analyzing previous activity. The number of likes, comments, shares, and re-watches are all important signs of interest.
Our book “The 8 Secrets to Marketing Success With TikTok” shares the 8 secrets to marketing success with TikTok. If you read this report and follow the advice in it, you will have a much greater chance of getting the results that you want.
Ultimately, the processes and your interactions online to produce SEO are your choice. This blog was set up to assist you with the fundamentals for success. Marketing yourself online has many different facets. Some may work better than others, and some may not work at all for you. SEO and digital marketing as a whole may take some time to build, but once you are able to get the foundation set, you will succeed on any platform.